Friday, July 28, 2006

Illustration Friday: Clean -

"Playin' That Saxophone"
erasercut (block-relief print) by Mick Mather

I don't suppose it would hurt any to let some of you know (or to remind those of you who know me) that my more serious artistic endeavors began as a very bad watercolor painter. Following that was a decade-long pursuit of graphic design and graphic arts where I often worked as a paste-up artist, typesetter, layout & advert designer and a little bit of illustration work. Eventually I was bitten by that little bug we call "printmaking" and spent the last 25 years on a mission to master the block-relief medium. Having succeeded at that, the last ten years of effort has conspired to pull me into the digital realm where I continue to struggle to build a large body of quality work. As regards that effort? Well, I think I'm getting there - still a long way to go. Anyway, this week's theme over at Illustration Friday took me back into the printmaking archives for a look see and I'm pleased that it did. Here's an old erasercut that I've always loved but have never editioned. I can almost hear those sweet, sweet saxophones blowing clean and cool...let it bop!

2 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Yeah! This is really nice, Mick! I love the image and I really enjoyed the quick bio...thanks:>

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Thanks right back to you, Carla. You're always there with something wonderful to say - for ALL of us.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home