Monday, August 01, 2011

Erosion Bundle Project Reveal -

"Erosion Cube - Final Reveal"
digital photograph by Mick Mather
- click image to view full size -

Here's the final result of "Erosion Cube", my addition to Kris Henderson's "The Erosion Bundle Project". As promised, I finally plugged in the blender containing the remnants of the cube and chopped everything up. Since a blender is not exactly a papermaking beater, lots of chunks and globs were left behind and made an especially thick slurry of paper pulp. The pulp was poured straight into a 5-gallon plastic tub filled with about a gallon of tap water and stirred vigorously. I made my own mold & deckle from an old food container (the omelet that came home from the diner in it was delicious and never made it into the paper) adding a screen in between from an old mesh bag that once contained onions. These three parts, held together with two spring-lever paper clips, were dipped into the stirred pulp. After lifting the screen - thickly covered with fine paper pulp along with chunks, lumps, thread and string - the clips were removed, frame & deckle taken apart and the screen was turned over onto a layer of fabric. The pulpy mass was covered with a paper towel and kneaded by hand to flatten, remove excess water (there was a lot) and to free the screen. After the session was completed, the wet sheets were placed in direct sunlight and allowed to air dry - about 4 or 5 hours. No, I didn't use felts or a press or a rolling pin or an iron or anything too fancy and I must admit that I'm completely satisfied with the results. For a photomontage of some of the steps described go to No Matter What Shape - The Archive.

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

How very awesome to see the resulting (long awaited!) paper and read of the process. I especially like your nifty deckle! Any plans for the paper?

I've made a book from mine but havn't photographed it yet, better get a move on!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lucky Dip Lisa:
As I had feared, the amount of pulp gained from the Cube was insufficient to make much paper - I only managed to get 3 sheets. The piece you see here is the best of the batch and I'm presenting it to Kris Henderson. I'm unsure where the other 2 will end up. I also made a very small paper apple (you can see it in panel three of the post at No Matter What Shape - The Archive), a small paper bowl (not shown - it was made by layering the pulp over a light bulb) and a third piece of paper created after adding some yellow daffodils and a handful of leaves.

7:50 AM  
Blogger John M. Mora said...

looks like aluminum foil covered hash to me - you are busted, amigo

11:45 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

John M. Mora:
Ut oh! :O


2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home