Friday, February 23, 2007

Illustration Friday: Communication -

"Powering Up To Test The System"
digital collage by Mick Mather
The Illustration Friday theme this week, communication, put me in a bit of a wacky mood. All I could think of was an old, old photo of me on the cover of a local music fortnightly, circa 1980, wearing headphones made out of two tin cans. That set the tone, pointed me in the proper direction and after a little surfing for an appropriate industrial image, this collage of the engineers testing a newfangled, tin can telephone system was the result. The surprising thing was, when the serially connected generators automatic shut-off was tripped by a common house fly, the system still worked just fine. Actually better, since the whine of the spinning cores were no longer inputting their fair share of the decibel load. My support group seems to think I'm making progress...I'm not so easily convinced!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

This is very cool. I love the photo of you with the can. Very interesting.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Thanks, Michelle. Actually, I couldn't find that old photo of myself and that isn't me. In the end, I was after the sort of look & feel that results when a client walks into a graphic design firm saying, "I'm thinking about 'communication' and I need a very simple advert for that. Sketches? No, I don't have anything, I'll know what I want when I see it!" Thus the insert, the single word, the graph paper layout. At the next meeting to get the client to approve this? "No, no, no! That's not what I meant at all! Were you people even listening?" :D

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home