Saturday, March 10, 2007

Excerpt from The Inventor's Diary: "The Note" -

"A Billet Doux For Her Lovers Greatcoat"
digital collage by Mick Mather
..."I remember watching you fold a small piece of paper. Studious in the effort, keeping each edge trim, every crease clean and smart. Beyond was that old, doddering coat rack, a deep purple shadow of its contents cast upon the wall by cheap incandescents. I returned quickly to my own work, an image of fuzzy edges melding, one into the other, clear in my mind if not in that room. You had left by the time I returned and, donning the last remaining greatcoat, my own, I slipped a hand into the left pocket, finding the note. My heart beat a little faster and a warm flush came over me as I did carefully unfold. Then, that sinking feeling that foolish hearts find forever surprising. The name of the one you confess your love to isn't mine"...

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home