Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's What?

"One Spanish Shoe"
digital collage by Mick Mather
I liked the filtered effect of this piece from the moment it was layered into the mix of things. Even so, I've been holding it back without really having a very good reason. It finally hit me today while I was doing a bit of research on traditional vs digital collage. Sad to say, I've lost the site between yesterday and today but the drift of the discussion centered around cubism and the collage of Picasso and Gris, to name two Spanish artists who may have defined the movement. From collage to painting, leavened with a few hundred years of cultural memory seems to have led these two men in particular to the wonderful invention. Hand in hand, thereto, went the assertion by Gertrude Stein that, "cubism is Spanish." Whether you or I agree with those assumptions isn't the issue other than the fact that tonight's post has its roots in that ism. Gee! Who'd a thunked it?

Labels: , , , , , , ,