Sunday, February 24, 2008

You asked for it -

"Thumbs from The Telephone Series"
monotype prints by Mick Mather
Just a small peek at another series of monotypes. I don't like the way these turned out and I'd do them differently if I had the time to pursue the project. As with The TV Dinner Series these were created using inexpensive tempera paints. Each telephone was painted on a plastic sheet and then transferred to a page from the telephone book. Each image was accomplished in alphabetical order and corresponds to a telephone directory booklet page where each monotype was tipped in (the little black letter tabs can be seen in each of the thumbnails above). One good thing that came out of this work is a second series that immediately followed. It's called The Toast Series and I'll show a few of those in the days or weeks ahead.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

I like the way the colours change from green to reddish (complementary ones). The green ones make the whole.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
I thank you for the comment but I have to admit that this is a simple screen capture and quite coincidental the way the colors line up. There are more, as you might have guessed by the numbers - 26 in all. I may show one of these when I post the first montotype from The Toast Series; but, it will be at No Matter What Shape - The Archive when I do. :)

5:06 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Very cool and interesting, thank you for sharing. Sounds like fun.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary stebbins taitt:
Thanks, Mary. I suppose it's that time of year when hauling out old work for the purpose of reflection and review is the thing to do. As I say, I am planning to post at least one of these along with a few from The Toast Series. :)

4:08 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

The hazardous how doesn't change the result. And only the result counts.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
What you say is true. Thanks again, Hélène. :)

4:44 AM  
Blogger Janice Ykema said...

it gives me a quilting feeling grouped like that...(even though i do understand it was random)

(thoughts are running through my mind on how we are sewn together by our various telephones)... now computers... mmmmmm ...

5:53 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

janice:
Anytime you have a series of squares, I believe that quilting will always come to mind. Of course, you didn't mention that as regards my Illustration Friday piece, multiples. :D

11:08 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I like your thinking behind this, the phone book pages and the tipped in phones. You say you don't like the way these turned out...which reminds me of a bad line, bad communication...

It's a little hard to see these proparly this small (for me anyway!) but if it's like the tv dinner series I am sure I would like it. Looking forward to toast!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

lisa sarsfield:
Thanks for being so encouraging. I suppose what I don't like about these is the poor perspective that exaggerates the familiar shape of this sort of old telephone. At the same time, this series as well as the TV Dinner Series, is completely iconic in nature. Thanks to you, I've just done some rethinking about that and it's become a lot easier for me to change my decision about showing only the single image promised. Thanks again, Lisa! :)

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home