Sunday, June 15, 2008

Out of the blue -

"Take Me to the River"
digital collage by Mick Mather
I was just hanging around the studio, playing and minding my own business when up jumps the devil! Well, not exactly, more at, what jumped up is this particular piece. As I was saying, I was playing around, deconstructing things, doing a bit of addition and subtraction before tossing everything into the super secret array. The plug-in filters and manipulators made quick work of it all and, hang onto your hat, gave me two very different images from the same base layers! I'll show the other soon enough ... a few meetings and long days at the office are right 'round the corner. Anyway, work that just falls together, as if appearing out of nothing, is the breaking news of the day. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

It's not the devil, sitting by the river!

1:40 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
No, Hélène, it's not the devil. This piece is connected to the great R&B hit, "Take Me To The River" by Al Green, that was revived a second time by Talking Heads during the punk/new wave era. The song is about teenage love, how much it hurts and the fact that, hard as it is to love and lose, there are no regrets. Some see the lyric "take me to the river, wash me down" as a thought of suicide by the unrequited suitor. It is actually a prayer asking for the pain to be removed, to wipe away every tear.

4:08 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, I love that song, and I remembered it was also performed by Andrew Strong in the movie Commitments, but sadly I couldn't find the version on Youtube.
So, you have to do with Strong's version of this other song.

Your pic is biblical, somehow. Maybe the light does it?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
Great Googlee Mooglee but that Al Green can make you wanna git up an' dance! Thanks for linking both songs, Susu, it made my afternoon. :D

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home