Friday, June 06, 2008

Illustration Friday: Forgotten -

"Edge of Darkness"
digital collage by Mick Mather
Illustration Friday offers the word forgotten as this week's theme. The 1943 film starring Errol Flynn as a hero of the WWII resistance in Norway aside, along with a pair of American and British soap operas, what I'm thinking about here are issues of reflection, recollection and being off far from home. Standing, for example, in an empty field, studying the horizon, watching the darkness wash quietly over you. Then turning to the setting sun as a sliver of sky turns every shade of blue, finally indigo, supposing the question, "can you really never go home again?"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mick said...

ulla:
Thanks so much for dropping in. I took a quick peek around your place, I like what you're doing ... I'll be back when I have more time.

6:23 PM  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Masterpiece!!!Mick
Bravo!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Solitude, but not despair.

This I find in your pic.

6:39 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

I could use a little of that peacefulness. A place to be alone. And yes, I do believe you can go home again as long as you can accept the changes in both yourself and your friends.

Now see that, you went and made me think! Ow.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

harlequinpan:
Thanks so much! :)

susupetal:
Yes, that's the point exactly. I knew you'd find that here, Susu. :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

heavy. you can go home - it just won't be the same...

10:15 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

studio lolo:
What! I made you think? You know, I was pretty sure that I could smell wood burning, someplace! :D

the charm school dropout:
I think that's right, Sarah. Fortunately for us, the memory doesn't have to change. :)

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she in riding costume by chance? It strikes me that she is and that she's thinking..."Now where did I put the damn horse?".

Good one Mick!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani:
By gosh, they don't look quite right but she might be wearing jodphurs! Horse? Ut oh! :O

5:23 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Well... I see a touch of sadness, actually. The figure is so indistinct and the colors are somber, so I feel as if she's at a turning point. Maybe it's the sadness of letting go and moving on? It does make one think:>

carla

1:50 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

carla:
I hadn't thought of sadness but the purpling sky, as evening drops like a shade, must surely signify an end to something. :)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home