Tuesday, August 21, 2007

a NEW Series? Maybe -

"Fatal Crash #1"
$50 unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
Tonight's post is an artistic expression of a tragedy. Without going into any great detail, it's one of those all-too-typical accidents on an interstate highway where people are hurt and killed. In this instance two lives were lost and, as I say, it's a tragedy...I don't know what else there is to say that hasn't been dogged like a bone by the media. Out of great strife and turmoil, however, we're often presented with something that gets us past such a horrific event - for me, it was the total immersion in the creative process that resulted in this piece. Even so, before I began writing even this little bit, my intention was to talk more about the beginnings of a NEW series of works that use actual cut and torn bits of newspaper articles that are scanned and digitally rearranged. Suddenly, I can't seem to go that extra distance. Since I have another version of this piece - I'll show it sometime soon - I believe I'll take this up again at that point in time. For now? I don't know, there's a lot going on here that even I don't expect to understand anytime soon, if ever.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

Did you see my crash photo ?
There's something quite alike.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
I didn't see it until now ... thanks for linking to it. That something quite alike, as I see it, is the stunned, milling about by the people at the accident scene.

4:31 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Interesting beginning of a new series.

Blood. The sight of blood always stops you and I think it's good to stop and maybe think a little.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
How very true...as always, you give me yet another pause for thought! :)

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home