Saturday, August 18, 2007

Voyager, Dr. Carl Sagan and SNL -

"Send More Chuck Berry"
digital collage by Mick Mather
- images generated by typoGenerator -
First, let's talk about widgets. There are lots of amazing little software programs being created by some very clever open source code writers and developers. What you see in tonight's post is the result of one of my new favorites (thanks Susupetal - I found typoGenerator at your place initially). There are dozens of others that I'm sure many of you will find appealing and I may have to add a category to my sidebar for those I know about and like best. Warning, some of these cool doodads are in beta states that may cause your computer to crash so be forewarned - I don't plan to recommend any that have made mine crash however. So, what to do with these shiny, new toys? Play with them of course. What happens at typoGenerator is that you get a little box where you put in a word or a phrase. Press the generate button and soon you have a nifty poster made up of random text, your specific text and random images ... as should be obvious by now, "Send More Chuck Berry" is the phrase that I chose after a bit of thinking that included Voyager, Dr. Sagan and a skit from the original cast of Saturday Night Live. There's a terrific blog post about it by Connie Sunday if you want more info. Another visual example of what one might do? Ron Huxley has altered some business cards that look terrific! While it's unclear that he's used typoGenerator, the appearance is decidedly similar. See them at his flickr site, here. As I discover more fun widgets, I'll keep you posted.
--------------------------------------------
...and, here's another little fun something that the Way Fabulous Susupetal uncovered. While I'm not looking for a date, their little quiz is a hoot:

57%How Addicted to Blogging Are You?

Mingle2 - Dating Site


Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Widgets are something you get easily addicted to, so beware, Mick, maybe your addiction level rises!!!

I like the blue in your pic, smoky and a hint of purple.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
You can say that again! As you may already know, Slide is another one that I have yet to take full advantage of, as you have with a few of your wonderful picture stories.

Thanks, with a blush!, for the comment on the actual piece(s) ... you know me, I had to choose two and collage them. :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I'm in love with the colours again. But I have to say this time I'm not sure what should I see. Can I see what I want...?

What exactly are widgets (yeah, I'm stupid)?

Btw, I'm 58%. ;)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
I say thanks for the comment on the colors (blush!) and, yes, you can see whatever you want. The best way to explain widgets (NO! You're NOT stupid!) is to re-read my piece and then click on the link for typoGenerator. When you give it a try, you'll see why images are unclear and indistinct.

That said, there are other software programs - or widgets - that do specific and wonderfully creative things. Other examples include Slide and artpad.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home