Sunday, May 18, 2008

A playful evening in the Lab -

"Miracle Seekers"
digitally manipulated mixed media & collage by Mick Mather
I tend to pay attention to things like splatters, brush cleaning papers, paint mixing swipes on scraps and other throw-a-way materials. Here, for example, I've fallen into the habit of loading a brush with more than one color of paint. I like to test a few strokes on the newspaper photo's that happen to be adjacent to the print areas where I'm doing my tempera-on-paper paintings for The Toys Series. There was absolutely nothing special or intriguing about these until I started sending them into the secret array of plug-in filters and manipulators. I'll be showing a few more of these as time passes and I highly recommend little diversionary tactics like this to keep the mind fresh during those times when the more important work seems stale, dry, forced or impossible to move along.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger harlequinpan said...

Hi Mike
You are really Miracle Seeker!!

i love this painting very much,it seems like a monoprinting work with beautiful colors and perfect combination.Thank you for sharing,i learn so much from you.

i hope i can fully express my respect to you, but sorry for my bad English.

10:40 AM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

very interesting. i like the concept of it being something found and reprocessed. good thoughts.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

harlequinpan:
Your English is just fine and thanks so much for this wonderful comment. I'd like to believe that we learn from each other as you know very well how much I respect your work also.

the charm school dropout:
Thanks so much, Sarah. As I mention in the body of the post, such re-use is always in my thinking. :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Never waste or throw away, good in arts, maybe not at home to some extension:)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Scary...have you been watching horror movies?
It has a lovely soft, web like feel to it and I liked hearing how you came to it! I often use my paint-scrap paper in collage but I can't say I end up with whole artworks like you have!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
Sustainable living, as opposed to the new and hip buzz term, green, is part of that philosophy. Reuse, recycle, reinvent. Of course, a pack rat like me can take that idea to a higher level and, as you say, maybe not so good at home. :)

lisa sarsfield:
LOL, I haven't been watching horror movies although I'm a big fan of the genre. The soft and web-like feel of these come from the paint itself, the filtered manipulation and the layering process. You can see a little bit of the face at the left of the small, dark area in the larger, lighter area of this piece. I'm afraid I can't say more ... after all, it is the Secret Visual Laboratory! :D

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home