Monday, June 23, 2008

NEW from The Toys Series -

"Squirt Gun"
digitally manipulated acrylic-on-paper painting by Mick Mather
I continue to enjoy myself with this series of new work and put a few teaspoons of GOLDEN E X P E R I M E N T A L Fluid Ultramarine Blue acrylic paint through the paces; courtesy of the big man himself, Mark Golden, who sent me a wonderful box of stuff longer ago than I'm willing to admit. I did cheat a little bit and used a smidgen of orange, liquid tempera over the acrylic for the basic, faint shapes and outline of the squirt gun. As always, the originals are not much to look at, purposefully childlike and it's the manipulated version that, in the end, is the most exciting for me to see. Even so, I owe it to Mark to have the original and this manipulated version matted side-by-side, framed and donated to the permanent collection over east o'here in New Berlin. Wait for it! :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Does this have a touch of pop-art? Not so heavy, but in a more modern, lighter way?

9:04 PM  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Beautiful colors!this reminds me of Anna-Eva Bergman's works.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetak:
You know, I've never thought of these pieces as pop art, but since you mention it, they certainly fit! I do appreciate the reference and must now wonder, is this neo-pop-moderne?

harlequinpan:
Thanks so much for the comment on the colors and for the reference to Bergman. I looked at a few of her paintings and can see what you mean. I'll have to visit more of her work now that I'm aware.

4:25 AM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

Love it. However, the liberal crazy in me wants to say "guns ARE NOT toys." ;)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

the charm school dropout:
Thanks, Sarah. I'm thinking that other, underlying social issues are more of a problem as regards squirt gun violence ... however, I'm thinking that I could certainly vote "YES" to squirt gun control should the legislation come up. ;)

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home