Saturday, January 10, 2009

While I was out walking, again -

"All That I Survey"
manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
I've set myself to the task of scanning all of my old photographs that were taken with film using my trusty, old and beloved cameras: a Petrie 35mm fixed lens beauty purchased in the late 1960's and a rather modern (at the time) Canon Z115 with automatic zoom and lots of bells and whistles. While pleasantly occupied I came across some of the documentation of Greymoor Walk along with a number of other treks, that I was never certain how to apply to that task beyond matted and framed prints. With all of the technology that I have at my fingertips today, the process of creative interpretation is now as simple as the decision to press on. It's funny though, as I run things through the super secret array here at the Secret Visual Laboratory, I find myself dwelling on drawings and block-relief printmaking for some of the work. Who knew?

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

This is wonderful! I say that often but I mean it sincerly each time. I love the time worn look this has and the many shades of grey. To me this looks like an image was put in place and then peeled away again leaving remnants of both the orignal and what was underneath.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lisa Sarsfield:
I believe you and say thanks with the same sincerity each time at my end. I had zero hopes for this photograph before it was cropped and put through the paces at the Secret Visual Laboratory. Once the filters and manipulators got done with it I had at least five fantastic versions to choose from. This will quite likely become the cover for the coffee table book that will document "Greymoor Walk".

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Amazing how technology can give not just photos but stories a second chance. Nothing quite beats being 'hands on' for me though and I believe you said you had similar temptations too?
This would be a lovely cover:)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lisa Sarsfield:
It's decidedly amazing the things one can do with the technology at hand. Although, just as you say, I am tempted to work with my hands at least twice a day. Some basic block-relief printmaking may come to the fore when I least expect it! :)

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home