Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thursday Challenge: Clouds -

"Late October Storm"
photograph by Mick Mather
This week's theme at Thursday Challenge is clouds and these charcoal monsters were blowing in from Lake Ontario picking up moist, warm water every inch of the way. Within minutes of getting this photograph, the cold front that moved these boiling monsters along like a freight train dropped the temperature by 30º and caused the falling rain to turn instantly to a spitting flurry of snow. On a day like this, with such impressive and contrasted views, it's great to be alive!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

The pale beige plant draws a fine contrast against the threatening clouds.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

SusuPetal:
Thank you, Susu. This was one of those rare opportunities where there was bright sunshine behind and the raging storm rolling along in front. I was extremely fortunate to get this and a handful of other photographs, each very dramatic due to this contrast of light.

7:10 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

Very nice clouds indeed, especially on a picture!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
As I mention above, this series of photographs was a gift and are among my all time favorites. Thanks, Hélène. :)

4:37 AM  
Blogger Nuvofelt said...

The clouds may have been a gift, but your chosen position is the key in the success of this photograph. I love it.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Myfanwy:
After getting what I considered the more important shots I was able to wander a bit before the snow hit. I'm normally aware of positioning, surely in this instance, but I'm not so sure that I recognized it in the proofs later on ... I'm glad that you did. Anyway, am delighted that you stopped by and I've put the kettle on. :)

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home