Friday, May 15, 2009

Illustration Friday: Contagious -

"Typhoid Mary"
digital collage by Mick Mather
This week's theme at Illustration Friday is contagious. While doing some thinking and a bit of research it happened that this image is somewhat reminiscent of Mary Mallon, a cook who infected 53 people in the early 1900's. After 100 years, is society likely to be so afflicted again? As the recent flare-up of the swine flu, a rise in cases of malaria, tuberculosis and polio seems to indicate, the answer might be yes.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

I wrote today a short story about panic attack, the feeling being described like being imprisoned in a glass cube. Your pic illustrates my story perfectly.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

SusuPetal:
I see ... you have my permission to use it, of course! Do you want to give it another title or ignore titles altogether? :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

I try to translate that story in English and will publish it in my English blog, and if that happens, I'd be glad to use your pic and give of course the credit and link to you.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

SusuPetal:
I'll look forward to seeing it, if and when ... :)

6:10 PM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

well done! looks like somebody to stay away from.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

THE CHARM SCHOOL DROPOUT:
Yes, Sarah, I'll be way over here, just in case. :O

7:38 PM  
Blogger John M. Mora said...

less secretive - less mysterious than many - she seems to be dancing or scooting....

7:53 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

John:
Since the real Mary moved from job to job to job after being released from quarantine for the first time, I think she must be scooting!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

She's living inside the a spider web. How sad.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Elegia:
I wonder if that's how Mary Mallon perceived quarantine.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home