Tuesday, May 08, 2007

NEW from The Mr Existence Series -

"Mr Existence Finds His Blue Poodle"
pen & ink with digital collage by Mick Mather
All the bright and sparkly colors in this piece are from an old pen & ink drawing I did in the 1970's. I was playing about and in up to my waist with pointillism at the time. As a slight diversion from one dot at a time, a few pieces used broader squares of color...similar, but not matching, a style that made Chuck Close a household name. So, jumping ahead some 25 years, I scanned the original, cropped it to fit my usual working frame and began looking at it - turning and looking, turning and looking. Not unlike those magic 3-D prints that reveal a hidden image once you figure out how to unfocus and allow it to jump out at you, I spotted something. Spot! As in "see Spot run!" Well, not exactly, since it's a French Poodle I happened to see...and so, after a bit of digital collage and the usual manipulations via the super secret array, voila! Was Mr Existence excited about finding that darned doggy? You can bet your flea-bitten collar that he was. :D

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

Oh no! I had a Poodle, he's name was Manolito, I got him as my 10 years birthday present. He lived 17 years. My dear dog. Only one I've ever had. Since blue is my favourite color, I must say I love this one so so much!!! Thanks for a very sentimental moment. It is...I must use a Finnish word: ihana!!!!

2:33 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Itkupilli:
Once again I'm pleased to have given you a moment of reflection. Now, of course, I'm on a search for the meaning of "ihana" in regards to that sentimental moment. :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

...if you find out what that word is in English, increase the meaning about 10 x. Finnish is strong language...:)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Itkupillia:
Jeepers ... now I'm blushing BIG once again. Ihana = delightful X 10. :D

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home