Sunday, April 29, 2007

Something minimal, an ambient visual? -

"The Over Sized Raincoat"
digital collage by Mick Mather
On my mind this evening is the image that took me back to an old way of working. For a time, I'd begin very small, often less than 100 pixels - give or take some as regards vertical or horizontal formatting. Next, the image is biggered into a 400 X 270 pixel frame. Very blocky looking this, so blurs and other softening filters are employed to remove the ragged edges, creating a rather misty look to the proceedings. Often, as can be seen in this particular piece, important features would blend into the background or disappear completely. Here, suffering from that very crisis of lost definition, the figure appears to have a very tiny head atop a very big body. Even with that, the image speaks to me in a way that none of that matters in the end. So, I offer it up as today's documentation of my ongoing work here at the Secret Visual Laboratory.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

I can see something very unexpected here. Hazy character is trying to come out from the back. This is very interesting snd suppression.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Elegia:
Thanks so much! When I squint - a practice that I highly recommend - I see the hazy character too! I wonder who it could be? :D

3:02 PM  
Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

Hei Mick, did my comments went down the drain ot couldn't pass sensure? :) I tried to comment this one and previous.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Itkupilli:
I moved your comment over to the April 28th image after fixing the problem at my end. I inadvertantly turned off the comments there for a day, silly me! Hopefully you'll see this and be advised of the situation. I would never censure your comments.

Hit refresh or reload at your end after you access my page and please let me know if things are right again as you see them.

4:28 PM  
Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

Hei Mic, seems that 2 comments haven't come through, it happens all the time, so I can write here as well about the same thing I put to previous post. That I admire your talent to make so abstract pictures, I'm not at that level yet. And it's nice to read about the process. And then to even more precious post I wrote someting about love, about it's nature...
I'm looking forward to here about your idea.
Nice to see Elegia here, too. She's fine artist.
Kirsi

3:11 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Itkupilli:
They did come through at my end, but I had "comments" turned off by accident at April 28th. I have since fixed that problem and moved your comments to that dated post - then deleted them at the other post. I suspect the issue now is with your own computer cache - need to refresh or reload my blog - or else with blogger. Could be one, both or neither!

As for my idea, visit my Outer Dust Rings blog and consider sending me something for it? I'm not so sure that I want to open it up for posting but I'm definitely seeking artworks to post there that aren't necessarily my own.

Anyway, with my usual blush, I say thank you very much!

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home