Tuesday, July 10, 2007

NEW from The Chairs Series -

"At the Chinese Take-Out"
$50 unframed - LUCAS GALLERY
digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
While waiting for an order of egg foo yung with a side of wanton soup I saw this chair in a new light, so to speak. It helped that the afternoon sun was stealing its way past the narrow blinds only to get lost in the gloom and shadows. After running the original photo through the usual array here at the Secret Visual Laboratory, the color scheme seen here began to amplify the lines and patterns. Variation and repetition enhanced by color if you will, turned this ordinary shot into something much more dramatic in my minds' eye.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

Lonely chair. I like that it's not in the middle of the picture. It's more exciting, when it's on right.

Quite dark and isolated. I like the colours too. But it doesen't look like a chair you want to sit down and wait what happens next... Spooky.

I like the spirit of the pic. Great!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
Thanks so much (blush!) and you put into words something that even I was struggling to define - lonliness. You also got it right about not wanting to sit in that chair. It's dirty, worn, obviously well used in some other lifetime. The waiting room at this particular take-away shop is, in turns, dusty and oily, perhaps a bit gloomy and therefor spooky. The spirit of it in spite of the surroundings also appealed to me, thanks for saying so. :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Hmm, I found the chair attractive! Because it's so plain, so simple, so...chair. And the lightning is just beautiful, the rays grace the interior beautifully.

(I believe the chair isn't meant for sitting at all -the service will be fast in places with that kind of chairs!)

1:55 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

suspetal:
Thanks with my usual blush. I have to agree that this image has that innate quality that makes something what it is. In this case, so...chair. I love the way you put it. :)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Catalina Alvarez said...

Simple and beautifull!
Cata.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

cata:
Thanks you so much for the lovely comment (with a blush!) ... how did you discover my blog? Illustration Friday I bet, I recognize your doggy icon. :)

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home