Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sketches and studies and drawing effects -

"The Photo Op"
digital collage by Mick Mather
For the past week or so I've gone back to a simpler, sketchier and more loosely drawn style of manipulation. I don't suppose there's any great purpose for these works but it's vastly helpful for my own vision to simplify things for a while. To let it go, to loosen up, not worrying so much over hard and fast detail is the assigned task for me. I've always been fascinated by the sketchbook drawings of other artists and getting things down quickly, gestural, intuitively and simplified is a place we all need to revisit - more often we think.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Sketches by skilled drawers are always amazing to look at because I can't sketch loosely, as you put it. In fact I can't draw at all. Not at least the way I'd like to. That's why computers and all kind of programs are a blessing -they'll do the drawing for me.

Yes, your pic has a loose air surrounding the figures, sketchy-like, drawn without effort.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I hope I haven't given the wrong impression here. This image is a digital manipulation - using particular filters in the secret visual laboratory that give things a stylized look of loose drawings and sketches. While I can also draw quite well with pencils, chalks, charcoal and the like, I too prefer the digital tools. :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

Hope your day was not to bad yesterday.
Nice dream image.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

griesmail:
No, not such a bad day, Trijnie, thanks for this quiet mention of it. I hadn't thought about the piece in the context of a dream but it surely has that quality to it. :)

6:03 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

No worry, I was speaking about sketching in general:)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Friends for ever. Or still friends.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
This piece does evoke that feeling. Thanks for saying so. :)

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home