Saturday, April 12, 2008

Donovan -

"They Call Me Mellow Yellow"
digital collage by Mick Mather
An old song by Donovan that I haven't heard in at least 35 years was piped over the sound system at some joint where I was sipping a Tom Collins. Well, one thing led to another and up pops this delightfully buttery image that sends me back to one of his even bigger hits, Mellow Yellow. One bit of music trivia regarding that song, you can read the lyrics here, is the fact the whispering gent in each chorus is none other than Sir Paul. If you follow the link and read along, Paul McCartney's part (in parentheses) reads quite rightly - hmm, I always thought he was saying quite right, slick. I'm sure that some Beatles or Donovan expert will verify the truth of one, the other or neither.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

So soft this pic! Me like!

A Tom Collins, eh? Fix me one, will you!

2:41 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
Yes, we've had a few very nice and sunny days this past week. Just the right time to break out the gin! :)

8:11 AM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

Born high forever to fly
Wind velocity nil...

8:23 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

the charm school dropout:
Right said, Fred! Thanks, Sarah. :)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I remember this song! It must have been out when when I was about 8 years old (mid 80's?) and a friend and I used to love it. I was mellow and she was yellow! lol. I remember the yellow triangle flags hanging in a dairy and the owner said if we could sing the song we'd get a drink of mellow yellow...your picture dosn't remind me of the drink at all though and I know nothing of the origins of the original song!

Trying for a 2nd comment...holding breath!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

lisa sarsfield:
There's nothing quite like a trip down memory lane accompanied by a well remembered song. This one reached #2 on the Billboard Charts in 1966. I'm thinking you found it late, Lisa. :)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummmm....I haven't heard that song in forever! Funny how some songs just stick with you though, no matter how long it's been since you've heard them last. Cool image! Is this a preview of Spring hemlines?!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani
One can only hope! :D

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home