Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Just piddling -

"Airplane"
digitally manipulated tempera-on-paper painting by Mick Mather
I was snooping around over at Candy Pegram's blog last week and really liked one of the things she said in her profile: "I favor images with hefty strokes and bold outlines, new yet familiar, evocative of a powerful collective pop culture memory of childhood toys, cartoons and characters". I especially connected with the pop culture memory of childhood toys and decided it was high time to sling some paint! I believe I'll do a number of this sort of thing where I begin with a down and dirty tempera-on-paper painting of those early memories. As most of you well know by now, nothing seems to elude a sound thrashing at The Secret Visual Laboratory and this piece is no different. You can see the original painting here if you like ... thanks to Candy for the inspiration.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

Fly me to the moon (to continue your musical series).

11:44 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I love those colors! Flying in UVA ;)

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ain't piddlin' fun?! I like this one, and I liked the original too! I don't know why, but it puts me in the mood for sherbet. Do they still make that? Has it lost out to fancy, smancy frozen yogurt? I know we don't it over here and I loved that as a kid! (Braum's Orange sherbet to be exact).

8:56 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
On the wings of Icarus, Hélène?

elegia:
LOL ... that's right, living large beneath the ultraviolet light! :D

shani:
Yes, it's a lot of fun and thanks for taking a look at both pieces. They do still make sherbet but, isn't Italian gelato a little bit like it? Maybe not, but worth a try I'll bet, if you can find some.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

FUN!!! I like this companionable pairings.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary stebbins taitt:
Thanks for dropping in, Mary. I'm having a blast with these so, stay tuned!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home