Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Memory Lane -

"Walkin' in the Sand"
digital collage by Mick Mather
"... somewhere along the coast of California we stopped for a few hours. The tide was out, way out, and the afternoon sun cast a rosy glow, thick as melted butter and warm for that time of year. The wind was rippling through your hair, lifting your sundress at just the right moment and creating a mood of the sort one never forgets. You asked if I knew about the nearby caves and when I said that I didn't, you took me by the hand and led me into one. It was a perfect moment where nothing more happened. I'll always remember that too, wondering if the look on your face was hopeful expectancy or that naive question as to how did you manage to get yourself into a situation like this? I suppose those ghosts haunt both of us, don't they? ..."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

A beautiful text, Mick. Makes me want to remember something...

8:33 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I have to say that this one was, almost, written by the image seen here. As I sit, contemplating my own work before setting out to do the writing, voices in my head speak to me. Part fact, part fiction, it's a memory that we've all had to some greater or lesser degree. Go ahead, Susu, remember. :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

Th eimage IS ghostlike. The situation could have been worse - or better!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
You have it all correct, Hélène. As I mention in my reply to Susu, this little vignette is based on a true story. Only the names have been changed ... to protect the innocent. :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Beautiful moment in a text and I can see it int picture too.

2:43 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
I haven't been writing as many short, short, short stories as I used to do and I was happy to get back to that with this piece. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

4:54 AM  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Sweet memory! Mick

7:49 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

harlequinpan:
Indeed it was, and still is, sweet. Thanks. :)

5:02 AM  
Blogger Carolina Grönholm said...

This was truly beautiful! have a wonderful and creative week!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

catalina:
Thanks for dropping in at my place ... so sorry that I was sick in bed. Dratted summer cold!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home