Sunday, May 04, 2008

NEW from The Birdhouse Series -

"Birdhouse III"
digitally manipulated tempera-on-paper painting by Mick Mather
No one would be more shocked than I at the way this piece came about, considering that the tempera-on-paper painting was nothing more than a throw-away. I was, quite simply, using up the extra paint on my brush as I switched between colors while working on another piece from The Toys Series. As you may or may not know, these simple, quickly made paintings of children's toys are done on newsprint, scanned and manipulated. Here, with today's image, there was little attempt to obscure headlines or text as paint was cleared from the bristles followed by simple washes to get back to clean ... anyway, the various plug-in filters and super secret manipulation tools made this one a fun surprise all around!

(A day later, I've added the alternate version of this image at No Matter What Shape - The Archive. You can see it here.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

The birdhouse has burned away...?!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
LOL ... maybe it has and how very interesting! I hadn't looked at it that way until now. :)

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm...turned out very interesting! And it has a kinda Asian feel to it!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani:
Funny how we see things so differently and, I know this doesn't help, but the other versions of this are the ones that have an Asian feel for me. I have an alternate version ready ... for some reason, I hesitated to do it earlier today. I'll have to think it over. :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

I would have said a camera from long gone days :-)

6:54 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Bye bye blackbird, and off she flew and the man stayed on being miserable.

(I see a man here, that black dot is his head and then I see the curve of his shoulder, the bird has already left the building)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
I'm making notes about the different things we each bring to this piece. Let me see, Hélène says:
- old box camera

susupetal:
Sounds like the beginning of a poem there. So, you see a man. I see it now, of course, but, that's an awfully broad shoulder indeed! :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

A like the way the entry to the bird house is still intact, leading my mind to imagine what's inside the box..a cosy nest plump with feathers? a leafy haven protecting the young birds...I do imagine there's birds in the bird house of course!
There's a lovely textural/structral look to this and the maze effect I saw in another piece. I like this series and glad I didn't miss too much while away!

Your Angels will be relieved there's no fixing up to do, they were kept busy with us:)

5:41 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

lisa sarsfield:
I'm glad you enjoyed this one. As always, there's more to come!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home