Tuesday, September 02, 2008

NEW from The Trinity Series -

“Working Class Silence and Hope”
(Trinity #13 - Installed)
marble sculpture by Mick Mather
As those of you who have been following along already know, I spent much of this weekend at The Carving Studio & Sculpture Space in West Rutland, Vermont creating "Working Class Silence and Hope" (Trinity #13). This piece will be part of SculptFest08 with an opening Saturday, September 13th and the exhibition continuing through October 26th. This year's theme is "Human Interventions and the Industrial Landscape", curated by Carlos Dorrien, Sculpture Professor at Wellesley College. As can be seen, the piece is dry stacked marble on a large marble plinth. From the bottom of the base to the tallest column the work is 7-feet tall and 7-feet wide. Upon arrival at the site things began to vary a little bit from the original sketch when it became obvious to me that the columns needed to be separated from the industrial dock where the work is sited. The natural marble slab was the answer and this monster weighs in at almost 2 tons. The industrial surroundings, merging sharply with the natural environment along with shape of the plinth, further suggested an alternate arrangement of the columns - each measuring about 15" to 18" inches in diameter. When you consider that better than 60% of the marble pieces needed shaping before placement amid hordes of mosquitoes, black flies, midges, no seeums, bees and wasps, it was a major task of whack & stack to get this erected. While my body is bug-bit, sunburned, muscle and tendon stressed, I'm on the mend. Those physical issues fade in the shadow of accomplishment and, in a heartbeat, I would do this again ... just not for a little while. Okay?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

People hava always placed stones, just think of Stonehenge!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
That's very true and I've always been fascinated with cairns, ancient stone monuments and dry stacking. I believe my interest in that area is part of what made me want to work in this medium. Thanks, Hélène. :)

5:03 AM  
Blogger KV Abbott said...

Very nice Mick! I'd like to see it in person. Perhaps I will get the chance as I will be back in Vermont later this month.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

k.v. abbott:
Thanks very much, Kevin. As noted, the exhibition is on through October 26th ... let me know if you do get over to West Rutland to see the work.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Oh, I like your pilings Mick! very nice piles in deed! Congrats of the sculptfest, that's great news. I'm obviously behind! 2 Tonne! You will need another holiday if you keep that up. Much smaller than a piece of toast!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

lisa sarsfield:
Thanks for catching up and for this comment. It's true what they say, there's "no rest for the weary" ... another vacation would be marvelous! :)

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home