Monday, February 23, 2009

Nine Mile Walk -

"Warners Field Falls"
digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
In my travels over the past few weeks I've driven by a number of locations that beckon me to come for a walk. One such spot is a little stretch of Nine Mile Creek that runs past one of the first airfields that serviced Central New York as far back as the 1920's. The creek is actually 26 miles in length beginning it's meander north from Otisco Lake, through the Villages of Marcellus and Camillus, eventually emptying into Onondaga Lake. There are so many wild stretches of this not always so small body of water that I'm not likely to walk it end to end. Even so, lots of interesting access areas exist to make an interesting point-to-point walking art project, including a major feeder system and aqueduct on the old Erie Canal.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger John M. Mora said...

This is just glorious. Simply perfect - grteat contrasts, feeling. I can almost hear a robin singing in the distance.

6:45 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

The blue water turning slightly into pink is so luminous in this picture that I'm walking right into it..

7:31 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

John:
I say thanks with a BIG blush while, at the same time, about to give away a secret. If you don't yet know about Herbert Pfostle, have a peek at his stunningly dark and mysterious work. He's one of my recent influences.

hpy:
Don't forget to hike your skirt up or you'll be wet all day! :)

2:29 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

I like that water, too, anyone for a swim?

12:25 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

SusuPetal:
I'm already in, waiting for you! Can't you see me way over there, waving my arms at you? :D

4:37 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, it's you, I thought it was a hairy mermaid!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

OMG, this is beautiful!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

SusuPetal:
:D

Elegia:
Yes, to entice you into those mysterious, dark woods! :O

6:43 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

This place is beautiful. I like how you've softened it but not masked it. I've been meaning to go back to some waterfalls near where I live with my camera...after seeing this I know I really should!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lisa Sarsfield:
While doing research on land art and onward to walking as an art practice I rediscovered the romantics, JMW Turner for example. I've always loved his work and when it came back to the front of my mind that most of it was done as a result of walking, all of my own photographs suddenly fell into that empty slot. This piece, to me, is rather Turner-ish and I'm delighted that it's pushing you toward your local waterfalls. :)

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home