Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday Challenge: School -

"Up the Down Staircase"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
My addition to this week's Thursday Challenge for the theme of school is this photograph of the main staircase at Syracuse University Downtown in The Warehouse. The building is an old storage warehouse, previously owned by the Dunk and Bright Furniture Company, that was purchased by Syracuse University and rehabbed to house the School of Architecture, The College of Visual and Performing Arts, The Goldring Arts Journalism Program as well as The Warehouse Gallery and the Community Art Wing where there are computer labs, meeting rooms, The Link Gallery and a wonderful cafe serving some of the best stir fry downtown. That concludes my little plug for the 800-pound gorilla - since I do staff an office over there a few days a week I suppose it's just and fitting to mention it. :)

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

It certainly looks like a school. I like the perspective: there is lots of steps to rise up (I like the several meanings of this word) to your personal top.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

I love this one as well, Very impressionistic, hope you know what I mean
(I am to lazy to use the translationmachine)
have a great weekend

1:07 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

Staircases go with schools. Running up, running down. Never in the classrooms!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
I walk past this scene several times per week and, as an entryway, it is quite impressive. I've always liked the way this looks. :)

griesmail:
Yes, Trijnie, I know exactly what you mean and this look was purposeful, comprised of many layers.

hpy:
LOL - you should see the freshmen before, between and after classes! They run alright! :)

4:24 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Schools seem to be the same every where.

I'm lacking of inspiration, Thursday Challenge and IF don't challenge me at all. Have to come up with something own...sigh...

8:27 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I suppose that's true about most schools, even about how this particular shot looks. The rest of it is actually quite different, in part, because of the sustainability-minded re-use and re-purposing of an old, industrial building. Jeepers, that was a mouthful! :D

1:38 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

It sure was, I had to re-read it:))

2:27 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
LMAO!!! :D

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home