Friday, October 19, 2007

Illustration Friday: Grow -

"Blueprint for a Modern Rapunzel"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digitally manipulated photograph & digital collage by Mick Mather
My favorite definition for the word grow, the Illustration Friday theme for the week, is a ship at anchor that stretches, or grows, its anchor line. Once I finished exploring that idea with no good result, I began flipping through the photo files and came up with a pair of good ideas. The first was a heavily manipulated corn field that simply didn't pan out. The other is tonight's post that, for me, is the better of the two. As I worked on the digital drawing for the tower blueprint, I wondered if the classic fairy tales are as well known today as when I was boy. As I started to bemoan the fact that the answer is "probably not", it suddenly occurred to me that wikipedia is only a click and a search away. Could it be that the ancient Library at Alexandria is neither myth nor legend but a reality seen in a vision of a future time ... namely, ours?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

There's something frightening about this pic, may have something to do with the fever I've had for some days.
She should be warned, be taken care of, I believe she's heading somewhere she shouldn't.

Yes...I'll go and rest again...

2:11 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I'm sad to hear that you're not feeling well. Yes, get as much rest as you need. Look again when the fevered eyes have cleared.

5:39 AM  
Blogger aeneadellaluna said...

cool!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

aeneadellaluna:
Thanks very much! :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Nice concept and photo Mick. Love the blues...it adds to the mystery of her.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

studio lolo:
Thanks so much, Laurel. I had a lot of fun building this one. Yes, I did say build and you can get a look at the process that resulted in my Saturday, October 20th post by going to No Matter What Shape - The Archive and reading about it. Included are 4 of the working images as they're developed into the final piece. :).

11:17 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Excellent piece, nice texture.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

rrramone:
Thanks very much for saying so ... as I was getting toward the end of this piece I began thinking that it might be too busy. I'm not certain if I was right and I like this myself. Either way, I had a lot of fun with this one.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home