Saturday, October 20, 2007

A tribute to the Finnish Sisters -

"Finnish Cottage in the Circle of Darkness"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
Tonight's post, as the introduction implies, is a tribute to all of the Finnish Sisters who often leave comments here at my blog and I at theirs. This really came about over recent conversations about the approach of autumn and, more at, the season to follow! The winters are long and dark in Finland. I know this for the Sisters have told me so. Since I'm not such a big fan of the long dark during these months either, this image is created for all of us. I've gone a step further for those who might be interested - at No Matther What Shape - The Archive I've put up four (4) of the working images that make up the layers in this piece. A short, basic tutorial is also there ... I tell you what I did as the piece was developed if not exactly how I did it. That sort of step-by-step would've taken another whole blog! So, to all of my good friends close to the Arctic Circle who will soon see too many months of darkness, I salute you!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

You know quite well your Finnish Sisters -or haven't we kept our dark souls hidden from you...

Looked at the prosess in your other blog and was impressed -so much work for us!

The cottage looks cozy and I bet it's warm, so I'll just cuddle in like a bear...or like a Finnish Sis.

Thanks, Mick, appreciate your kindness. Good night (it's 1.10 AM here).

3:12 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, I forgot to compliment the sky in the pic. It looks like northern lights, Aurora Borealis.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I know The Finnish Sisters well because I've been paying attention ... such good attention in fact, that even the dark of your souls is somewhat known to me! :D

Thanks so very much for the comment on the cottage (blush!) ... it is indeed cozy and warm. Do cuddle in and beat the rest of your fever.

Thanks again for mentioning the sky. I'm not certain that you have a regular showing of the northern lights so I put them in just in case. :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Here in southern Finland Northern lights are somewhat rare, you'd have to travel to Lapland to see Aurora Borealis, but who would like to travel there where the sun soon sets to rise again in the spring????

We do have occasionally Northern Lights here in the south, also, I've seen them a couple of times, but I'm told they are nothing compared with the lights up north, where the sky seems to be in flames of yellow, green, red and blue.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I've seen the marvelous displays once or twice myself - it's rare, as you say, but shimmering sheets of color covering most of the Northern sky is surely a treat below the circle. :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

I came too late - all is said.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
LOL ... better late than never and I'm pleased to see you here. In case you were wondering, I also appreciate my fiends in France. Even so, since you do speak Finnish, I count you among the Finnish Sisters with this tribute! :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home