Saturday, November 03, 2007

Have I tricked anyone but myself?

"The Amazing Elizabethan Cloak"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
I continue my experiments with fractals and attempts to wed some very interesting flames to my photography or digital drawing. At the same time, I'm continually aware of being seduced by the technology of mathematical sets that make the work possible. I've mentioned this before in relation to ending up with a sci-fi look to the work - perfectly fine in that realm - and fractals can be very, very beautiful all by themselves. There are a lot of artists who do little more than enter a mathematical formula and wait to see what the fractal generating software provides. While I have no problem with it as a legitimate creative process using tools that are another flight up the technogeek high rise, it's my own way of working that's at risk some of the time. This post might be a good example ... have I allowed myself to succumb to said seduction? Am I only fooling myself by referencing an English Queen and the habiliment from two centuries ago?

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

Wow, this rocks! Like a clown without colors and smile. Very dark figure, I like.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
Yes, very dark and very like you, Elegia. If I only had a few photos of you to work with, it would BE you! There was some very careful layering and edge touch-up that went into this one so, I'm pleased, as always with a blush, that you enjoy it. :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Upper class with low life. Very Elisabethan:))

The wink in the eye tells everything.

This pic made me smile.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I thank you, as I always do, for putting your spin on things. I love the way you put it. Too, there's nothing quite like a good wink, is there? Now I'm smiling too! :)

7:06 AM  
Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

I don't know what is wrong with me tonight, but I never would have guessed this is Elisabeth, but cool collage. I like it. And I love fragtals...and mathematic in general is close to my heart. It is so exciting to see and hear matematical formulas...that is very fascinating art.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

itkupilli:
I'm sorry to say I may have tricked a few other people too! Not on purpose mind you, but I do leave it unclear in what I wrote. I only reference Elizabeth the Queen verbally. The image is not at all her but the ripple of the cloak is surely reminiscent of the Elizabethan collar. :)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

This does have a sci-fi look and also a Halloween scary look too! Very interesting and fascinating. I like it a lot.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary stebbins taitt:
Thanks so much! I'm toiling away at the secret visual laboratory in an effort to get a meld between fractals and my other methods of working. Glad you like it. :)

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home