Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Memory Lane, again! -

"After A Fashion"
digital collage by Mick Mather
While reading one of my favorite non-art blogs, Varifrank, this post discussed the ramifications of his 1,000th blog entry along with a bit of a stroll down memory lane. Too, I found a link to another instant fave, neo-neocon that I'll get to in a moment. I talk a lot about memory too - just yesterday in fact! - and how it's a welcome partner and collaborator in my art, about how the synapses seem to catch fire in the most unexpected recesses and of our personal histories that are nudged back out into the open as a cause and effect of the process we call remembering. There's a terrific post about memory at neo-neocon along with this one that relates in the most serendipitous way to an older post of my own while bouncing up against what you see here and now. Phew! That was a mouthful - all puns intended! Then, last week I was watching an old, old movie from my Top 10 list, To Sir With Love, and began entertaining a slough of memories while reliving some of the emotions of my late teenage years. A fabulous slice-of-life documentation of perceived advantage in rebellion among the disenfranchised poor of East London during the mid-60's. One of my favorite lines is when Sir, beginning to make headway with his disrespectful charges, says, "all fashion is a form of rebellion." Pan in on young faces taking a pause for thought as the fantasy of their supposed individualism was neatly sliced and diced via historical and cultural memory. Anyway, from time to time it comes down to being all about fashion I suppose...dunnit?

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Janice Ykema said...

I figured it out...
wrote something.. erased it.. then tried again..
here goes:
for me this piece makes me uncomfortable....
I think because its almost 50% clear versus 50%unfocused... and it doesnt give me a direction to think....
Not sure if you understand what Im trying to say... Its very balanced. just a thought... ... maybe not that constructive a thought ... either...
I really like whats happening on the left side

and PS.. great feedback on the study idea..
I am going to go through my portfolio and delete some (studies).... Ive been to some art galleries where they have raided artists studios and put everything up on the wall to represent them.. Im sure they shudder in their graves...cause some of them... were really drawings... (wink)

12:21 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

The pose is straight from the cat walk. Quite pinkish with a hint of that dusty rose, again.

(hmm, but why does she have a head of an alien? The body is quite perfect...)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

janice:
Because of the time of year, what I was going after was a bit of a gruesome, masked face. Sort of - see my reply to Susupetal below. This also evokes an old Twilight Zone episode for me - the one where almost the entire show is a woman in a hospital bed with her face completely bandaged. The doctor and nurses are always in shadow or silhouette talking about how this is the last time they can risk surgery to correct her appearance. At the end, when they unwrap those bandages we see a beautiful woman as the attendants gasp in horror, knocking over a tray of surgical instruments and scissors. Finally we see everyone else - they look just like this post!

LMAO @ the "wink" over "were rally drawings!" I like that. :D


susupetal:
See my reply to Janice, Susu. It's a comment on the perceived, collective societal norm for beauty. That body though ... Hubba! Hubba! :D

3:06 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I think she's been shot after a fashion show!? Going to die or become a zombie... Cool, bloody cool!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
LOL - I knew that this would be a piece you'd enjoy! Thanks. :D

4:03 AM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

sweet dusty image

4:55 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

griesmail:
Thank you, Trijnie! :)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home