Tuesday, November 06, 2007

NEW from The Papers Series -

"Television"
digital collage by Mick Mather
I've been working on this piece since summer. I've started and stopped and started again, trying to figure out what this piece means for me. It's part of that body of work that results from quickly tearing up newspaper scraps after clipping one article or another that I want to save. The torn pieces are scanned and then reassembled digitally. I suppose I could flesh out, so to speak, a good story about this image for you as regards ratings, fluff and the fact that men are easily distracted by the bright and shiny! In the end - if I do say so myself in Quote of the Moment in the sidebar - "Like the viewer, I too am looking for something in my own work." What I don't say is that I don't always find it ... well, I do, but sometimes it isn't satisfactory (sigh!).

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

The Lady in Waiting.

Or is she just a facade, a surface?

Thereäs something disturbing in her pose, maybe because it it a pose.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

She wants her 15 minutes too.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

This a great image, I love the contrast black/white and the softness. I want more of these
have a nice day
Trijnie

12:34 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I don't recall her name, but she's an anchor woman in some city and I believe this pose was set-up to take advantage of her good looks to raise the ratings of that news show.

elegia:
That's right! Since she probably gets the better part of a 90 minute newscast, does she really need 15 minutes more? :D

griesmail:
Thanks so much for these comments. The layering of the TV Listings in the background and the addition of the black & white image account for the hard/soft contrasts. The fact that she seems to be fading away is my own comment on the use of "cheesecake" simply to increase a program's viewer ratings. After the looks fade? What's left?

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home