Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Happy and sad -

From the COLLAGE-A-DAY Series
digital collage by Mick Mather
Lot's to tell so let me get started. Some of the Finnish Sisters have been doing images for letters of the alphabet and lo and behold, what do I find? An old disk containing old files documenting my COLLAGE-A-DAY Series, some which are alphabetically themed. I've talked about these works a few times in the past but the real story here is the delight of discovery. Unfortunately they were in a file format of a software program that went a little nutty last year - now the installation CD won't run on my computer and they can't be opened here at home. Since I do have that software installed on my computer at work the story takes another turn for the good. Too bad that said computer has no CD burner and, since I didn't relish the thought of emailing almost 100 files, I began the task of converting all but 30 of them with hopes of putting them on my thumb drive. Good news, except that my home computer won't talk to that little bugger any better than the software installation CD. Next, I went to my other office at The Warehouse at Syracuse University Downtown. Great, download the files from the thumb drive to that computer, pop the disk in and add the converted files files to it. For some unknown reason the burner wouldn't work. Go to another computer, same problem. Reboot and try again. Nothing. Back to the other computer and BAM! Success. Wait a minute, what's this message? Yes, of course I want to put these new files on this disk. Success! Wait a minute ... where did the other files go? Damn, I was using a CD-RW and evidently said yes to rewriting the disk and now? I've lost the 30 unconverted files! Damn! (sigh!) ... :(

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

It was much better before we started using computers. I guess you still have old photos of your parents. They will remain, whereas those we make today will be obsolete in a decade or so :(

11:41 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
A point well taken. It's always been at the top of my mind that the day when another paradigm shift in electronic storage and retrieval systems becomes a reality, how will we deal with it. On the other hand, our papers, books and photographs may surely last a lot longer, but even they will fade to dust somewhere in time.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Catnapping said...

i have a small idea how you feel. i have hundreds of files on my PC...and everytime i fire that baby up, i corrupt more of them.

UPS broke my PC last January, and the money they settled with was not enough to replace it...so i got this laptop. it does not talk to the external drive on the other one...it wants to reformat it. i tell it NO.

so files i try to burn to disc, and then see on this laptop...are sometimes okay...and most times...gibberish or not even openable.

i love the collage you made for the letter B.

love,
cat

10:13 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh no! Damn.

(luckily, almost eveyrthing can be done over again...but it's a booooore!)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

catnapping:
Thanks, darlin'! It's always good to have someone to commiserate with, even if it doesn't solve the problem. All day I've had sneaking suspicions that these files must reside somewhere else since they were burned to disk once. You guessed it, I can't remember which computer, which extra back-up disk or what master file. :|

susupetal:
You said it! As I just told catnapping, above, there's this little voice that keeps whispering "you still have these somewheres". I might get lucky ... wanna help me look? :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

It's not a boooore to do things over again. Doing them is fuuuuun. And why redo something if we can do new ones?

11:13 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Not always, no. Doing them again could be fun but, as you say, I'd probably just move ahead and do new ones. I'd sure like to have had them documented though. In the end, if the old computer has even 1 more reboot in it? I'll have them if it'll allow a stand-alone CD burner to install.

5:20 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

No, it's not fun to do something all over again. I've lost so many texts -and long ones, tens of pages- due to some misfortune, and it has not been at all pleasant to rewrite them.

It makes you crrrrazy!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I know ... here \_/ - fill this up with some Irish Whiskey will ya? :D

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home