Saturday, January 05, 2008

Taking it to the street -

"When Reality Comes Apart at the Seams"
digital collage by Mick Mather
As I've mentioned recently, I've been looking at a ton of artwork, most of it found in that most wonderful phenomenon known as the PDF Magazine. There's a lot of fresh work to be seen from artists, designers, photographers and street artists. For our purposes here it's the "street style" that's been steadily creeping into a lot of agency design work that interests me. Too much of this specialized artwork is stolen or copied when the ad industry should actually be hiring some of these artists to bring a fresh perspective to the field. You know the parable guys: "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". As with other industries - music and publishing to name two - advertising has become stale, it's been that way for more than a generation and it too fails to recognize the paradigm shift that is likely to make them irrelevant in less than another decade. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Hmm, a bit of a rant here, innit? :D

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

It's good to say what you have on your heart.

1:25 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

The first thought looking at this pic was "omg, she's had too much botox!".

I still think so, looking at your another time.

She looks alien, spooky and suffering. I may get it all wrong...

1:31 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
You're right about that ... it made me feel a whole lot better, too! :)

susupetal:
I think you got it right. I have to admit that this piece is rife with double, perhaps triple, entendre. In concert - the image, the title and the written post - is no more than my opinionated comment on consumerism as it is shaped and fashioned by what many see as an elitist industry and a business model out of step with the massive social and cultural changes emerging in the 21st Century. Communicating the idea of "I WANT" and translating that desire into "I MUST HAVE" is surely alien, spooky and capable of causing some suffering when the hype doesn't live up to the reality. Oops! There I go, ranting again! :D

7:48 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

It's still good to rant... sometimes.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Indeed it is and I think I have it out of my system for the moment. I should admit that it's a relatively localized rant. There are plenty of good, forward thinking and up to date design firms out there. :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Very tough teacher. I don't know why she remains me about teacher.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

elina:
I hadn't thought about that until you said so ... she reminds me of one of my old, mean teachers, too! :D

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home