Friday, March 28, 2008

Illustration Friday: Homage -

"Selfportrait of the Artist Paying Homage to Lord Byron"
digital collage by Mick Mather
As is the case from time to time, one joyous occasion arises whenever I can get a twofer. Here, again, I have an image that fits both Illustration Friday as well as The Selfportrait Series. The theme this week is homage and, as I gaze upon the pensive figure of George Gordon Noel Byron, it is his own tribute to the Mythological Greek figure, Leander, that is on my mind. While living in Greece, Lord Byron made the same swim across the Hellespont, from Abydus to Sestus, that Leander accomplished nightly in order to be with Hero. Homage? I should say so!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

I love the grainy textures you create and the whole feel and idea is super cool Mick!

11:25 PM  
Blogger isay said...

great choice for the texture!

have a nice weekend.

12:15 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

This pic is in balance, I like the composition.
You two look very handsome.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Reeko said...

Very interesting treatment and backstory. Good stuff!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

valgalart:
I have many versions of this and it was the grainy image that seemed to work best. Thanks Valerie.

isay:
Thank you, Isay - you have a good weekend too. I'm still celebrating my birthday so I'm certain that it will be! :D

susupetal:
Thank you on all three counts, Susu...(blush!). :)

reeko:
Thanks for dropping by, James, considering that you've only recently managed to walk out of "Prison Country". Oops, folks might get the wrong idea! Better have a look over here all. :D

7:29 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

I'm wondering what your eyes are doing...ahem, "there." hah! Just kidding! Someone had to be a wise guy. Great photo in the self portrait series Mick.
I hope you're not too hung over from your birthday celebration! Happy belated :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

studio lolo:
LMAO - you are a wise guy, Laurel! My birthday bash was wonderful and thanks for the belated wishes! :)

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home