Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thursday Challenge: Rocks -

"Rag and Bone, Iron and Stone"
photograph by Mick Mather
Rocks is the Thursday Challenge theme this week and as I was out and about on Tuesday documenting a piece of public art I spotted this reflection of Syracuse City Hall reflected off the glass tower of the more modern and currently vacant NYNEX / VERIZON building. As I began preparing this for tonight's post the idea of contrasts was on my mind. Questions like old vs new building materials - iron or stone? It struck me that such a question, and the visual contrast offered in this photograph, might also speak to the worth of the craftsman who built this beautiful castle that's still a downtown landmark. Working class men who understood the meaning of sustainable, local materials two centuries ago. Subsistence level urban pioneers touched by the industrial revolution who probably benefited little by way of being able to acquire mass produced, factory items that could be cobbled together from recycled material. A time when the junk peddler went street to street offering old, affordable and still useful things. A reflection here of an era passed within the panes of modernity whose entropy quietly awaits a post-modern rag and bone man.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Reflections are a joy. They make ordinary things look different.

12:20 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

I prefer to look at old stones than new iron. I even live in old stones, not so old however, only one hundred years. My house was built in 1890 but I guess that it will never get as old as the big church that is more than one thousand years old, some say much older. I don't think that the iron building will get that old either.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I feel the same way and I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to get this particular photograph. :)

hpy:
That's little bit of a coincidence since our City Hall was constructed around the same time as your house! :O

5:04 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I like the reflections too. Can I join the club?

6:17 AM  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

Wonderful capture!!Very interesting comparison.

i have some pictures are used to satirize the Government's incompetence and strange phenomenon.

Sorry for my bad English.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
I add your name to the esteemed list of admirers. :)

harlequinpan:
I was delighted to get this photograph, as I've said already. It is all about the comparison's, be they obvious, subtle or difficult to arrive at. :)

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh nice one! Love the juxtaposition of past and present in the same pane.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani:
That's exactly what caught my eye as well ... and to think that I almost walked past without taking the shot! :)

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home