Friday, July 25, 2008

Illustration Friday: Canned -

"Canned"
digital collage by Mick Mather
This week's theme at Illustration Friday, canned, sent me back a long way in my thinking. All the way back to the days of WWII when the British were hanging on by a thread, well before the United States got involved. Patrolling the North Atlantic to thwart the German U-Boat attacks on all manner of shipping was, I'm certain, a cold, daunting, grueling and lonely task. Heroes are rarely the sort one sees in the movies or television dramas; my hat is off to all who served and, do remember: "they also serve who only stand and wait."

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger INDIGENE said...

A fitting image for those dark times!

www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

7:47 PM  
Blogger Hajnalka Cserháti, Ojni said...

I like it! Congratulation!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

indigene:
Thanks for stopping in and for this comment. They were dark days for sure.

csherháti hajnalka:
Thanks so much to you as well. I'm glad you liked this piece.

5:00 AM  
Blogger S. Collier said...

Hey mick, love the sepia tones and the idea behind the topic. Great Stuff! I'm impressed that you post more on vacation than I do normally.

6:48 AM  
Blogger harlequinpan said...

This one is matchless work!! Love it very much!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

the charm school dropout:
Thanks, Sarah. I was looking for that old, 1930's, Movie Tone Newsreel footage look.
LOL about vacation ... I'm not away yet, but I'm planning for it already.

harlequinpan:
Thanks very much, Harle, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the sepia color you've chosen works excellent here Mick. It really adds to the piece, keeping that haunting feeling of the original. Good (and thought provoking) work!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani:
As I mention in my reply to Sarah, there was a specific look I was after and I'm happy with the result. I'm delighted you think so too and thanks for saying so! :)

9:24 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

Before reading yor text I said "The Titanic"!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
One of the things in this image that I couldn't do much about was the thick cloud of dark smoke that, I suspect, is what you see as the sinking Titanic.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home