Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A new Land Art project -

"Stitch-Scape Study I"
digital collage by Mick Mather
Can anyone tell that I'm chomping at the bit for better weather? I've had this minimal study in the files since late last fall and it keeps creeping into my consciousness. I have no idea how this is going to be constructed or how it'll turn out, but the basic idea is to employ some fairly thick vines if I can find some in the BIG back yard. Each of the four corners of the individual stitches are holes in the ground where the expected vines are to be sunk. As a study, I've made no reference for color, surface texture or anything else, but the idea appeals to me. Give me a few months.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger John M. Mora said...

Wait, I thought I saw this diagram in a hemp growers manual...

10:24 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, I understand absolutely nothing about stitching, but this pic delights me anyhow because of it's simplicity.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

John:
Dude, put away the manual (and the bong) and get some fresh air! :D

SusuPetal:
This, being as simple as it gets, is all you need to know, Susu. :)

11:56 AM  
Blogger rebecca christiansen said...

Hi Mick, thanks for posting a nice comment on my blog the other day. Now that I'm finally getting back over to yours I see that you are posting every day! My goodness but does that ever take some dedication...but I really like what you have been creating from your walks! This Stitch-Scape intriques me...cool, with natural vines on canvas, grommets maybe or metal eyelets. I can see it. Confinement with unconfined, textural elements...

rebecca ~ justgiddy

10:13 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

Spring and gardening is what you're thinking about!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

rebecca woodward:
The give-a-way for the Stitch-Scape is the phrase "holes in the ground", Becca. This is a Land Art Project that will be sited out doors if I'm able to squat on about 9 square yards of space once the snow melts and those vines get a'growin'.

hpy:
Now that you mention it, I do have some cantaloupe seeds to plant. :D

4:41 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see where this leads...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lisa Sarsfield:
I can't either and it being so season-specific, I bet I'll be chomping at the bit till the end of June!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home