Monday, July 16, 2007

Moody Monday: Observant -

"The Watchdog"
$50 unframed - LUCAS GALLERY
digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
For the theme of observant at Moody Monday this week I have this beautiful shot of my eldest nephews dog, Lexus. I got this one at the party my parents gave for friends, neighbors and family at their lakeside home - recently mentioned in Saturday's post. She was laying quietly, minding her own business, seemingly lost in her own thoughts, until the camera came out. At that point, ever observant, she looked directly into the camera while I took her portrait. The original wasn't really as classic as I let on and it needed work...you can see the original photo along with the practically untouched, cropped version here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

This one is more interesting than theoriginal.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Thanks so much for saying so. For me, the benefit of manipulation, plug-ins and filters is that no photograph is a "bad" photograph anymore. There are endless possibilities for those who choose that path.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like the way you changed the photo to a more painterly mix. I can see this as a painting now. This procerss is an understanding way to break down color and look at images in new ways. Bill

8:11 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

iveswilliam:
Thanks for this comment, Bill. From the beginning my digital work has been part graphic design and part painting for me. While I don't paint electronically using brushes and special programs that do an even better job of realizing a work that is completely tied to painting, I do strive to end up with painterly works that stand well outside the realm of digital manipulation. Most of any success I have in that regard comes directly from years of working with the tools and the digital medium. All said and done? What great FUN!!! :)

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home