Saturday, August 04, 2007

NEW from The Nightmare Series -

"Strange Perceptions From the Opium Den"
$50 unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
I continue to play around with a concept hinted at in Wednesday's post. The image there, "Squinting into the Wind", now resides in The Nightmare Series along with today's post while I continue to ponder the new body of work. The trouble is that the imagery fits comfortably within a pair of existing groups, the above mentioned and The Making Faces Series, so I guess my real dilemma is answering the question: "Does it need its own room?" In time it actually may but for now, it's a group of files whose name will remain a closely guarded secret a little bit longer.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Horrible. The lost life, the hopes that disappeared, as did humanity. No glory lef, no dignity.

And still, a human being, worth respect.

Oh, a disturbing pic. Makes me feel bad, and at the same time I know, my feelings mean nothing.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I have to tell you that it was the image itself that spoke to me and offered this title. As you seem to suggest, todays rampant drug epidemic is a mere speck alongside the centuries old opium trade. The drug dealers, the gangs and the drug lords of today were preceded by the Opium Wars. Does it matter that Imperialist Governments furnished the network, the enforcement and the promulgation of the illegal trade? I bet not one whit to the wasted humanity that is the one constant in common with those times and now. I didn't set out to make a disturbing image nor to make any specific statement - but it seems as if it took on a life of its own in this instance.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

This pic rocks! I love the dark side you bring out! That includes some horror and agony at the same time. Hope? No, I don't think so.

Amazing picture - it looks like me :D

11:18 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

"...but it seems as if it took on a life of its own in this instance."

This is how art is born.
I have the same experience with writing, it's just useless for me to try to decide what my characters are going to do, they don't obey me, they start to live their own lifes. I've written about it in my blog.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Janice Ykema said...

to me.... its the inner cry of a lost soul.

Again.. a strong graphic image..

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

janice:
The more comments I get for this image, the more I can't recall what I was thinking after naming the piece. Your take on it is duly noted and greatly appreciated (blush!). :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger hpy said...

So I won't comment! Maybe it will help you to recall what you wanted to think.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
LOL ... not likely. These days my memory is like lightning - one flash and it's gone! :D

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home