Friday, September 28, 2007

Illustration Friday: The Blues -

"The Blues"
digital collage by Mick Mather
One might think that this week's theme at Illustration Friday - The Blues - would be limited to the musical style or the depressed emotional condition. If so, those of you who know me a little might already be wondering what I'll come up with. For starters, I went down the path of what we call the "service uniform". An interesting trip, too, as it includes Military and Police uniforms as well as the lowly blue work clothes peculiar to service station attendants and other "blue collar" (can you imagine the stretch it took to come up with that one?) manufacturing jobs. I wasn't finding what I wanted along those lines so I changed course and went looking for "blue chip stock" listings. Tonight's post is one such graph of the top ten Blue Chip Gainers for a particular period along with the old India Building that housed the turn-of-the-19th century Stock Exchange and the W. R. Grace Company. After layering, manipulating and the usual hi jinx performed here at the Secret Visual Laboratory, this rather abstract looking piece is the result. So sorry to run off like this - my broker is on the phone! :)

Labels: , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Elegia said...

There's blues inside the blue building. Believe it or not. Men in blue must see so much blues things.

Sorry, my melancoly mind is awake, but I should go sleep. Good night!

6:22 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Actually, that was really a reach Mick, but it works great! I wish I could say I picked the top ten blue chips. Uh, no.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
LOL - yes, melancholy baby, get to sleep! Thanks for leaving this comment before nodding off. :)

studio lolo:
An admittedly long reach at that! Thanks. Laurel! :)

5:41 AM  
Blogger isay said...

it went well mick!

8:12 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Chasing the blues away with money, good for you, Mick:))

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

isay:
Thanks for stopping and thanks for saying so! :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
LMAO - that's right! They say that money can't buy love, health or happiness ... but, it sure takes the edge off! :D

9:36 AM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

Kind of blue...

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

griesmail:
LOL ... yes, kind of! :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger carla said...

I like your interpretation of the topic! The treatment makes this look wonderfully textured... very old and far away.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

carla:
First I say many thanks for the fine comment. After these few days I must admit that, if only to myself, this was a difficult piece for me and it never felt quite right. Even so, it fell together - as images sometimes do for me - with little fuss. I posted it at long last, after starting over at least 3 times. Under these circumstances, it's all the better for me to get such support from all of you here who show me things that, all too often, I don't immediately see. :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Save My Studies said...

I like it. It feels cold and peaceful like Christmas Eve.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

I like your image a lot! Very cool.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

robert:
Thanks, Rob ... I'll send over my Christmas Wish List later in the week. You're a real pal to remember me this far ahead of the Holiday! :D

digital scott:
Thanks to you as well, Scott. :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home