Tuesday, September 18, 2007

From the reading room -

"Near the Skirt of the Island"
digital collage by Mick Mather
- created with typoGenerator -

This post came straight out of a novel, Perelandra, by C. S. Lewis. As can be discovered by following the link, this is the second book in his Space Trilogy. Today, Lewis is probably much better known for his children's book series, The Chronicles of Narnia. I didn't find this read particularly spellbinding although the struggle between the main character and the devil toward the latter third of the story came somewhat close to, what is for me, a page turner. The first book in the series, Out of the Silent Planet, was dry white toast, yet I struggled through it. The last of the trilogy, That Hideous Strength, is finally something I've settled into with excitement although it remains to prove itself over the next 300 or so pages. In any case, these books, not unlike the Harry Potter Series in style, are written for the English tongue and ear and may not be for everyone's taste. So, taking a breath as I wend my way, taking the long way home, the title of this evening's post is one of the lines from Perelandra that struck me between the eyes as I read it, reread and went back three or four times to read it again. Into the typoGenerator it went, finally, and here you have it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I like this a lot, Mick! It's really nice. Has a good feeling to it, pleasing.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I'm sure you'll read Harry Potter next!

12:26 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

I haven't read the Space Trilogy, the Narnia books though. Funny, I've never thought that for example Harry Potter books are written for the English tongue and ear, that is true. Can you describe how they sound to your ear?
In Finland, pupils start to learn English at the eight of 9, and it depends of the teacher very much, how the English turns out -is it British or American. And it depends on the pupil, too. I remember, way back when I was a teenager, how some Englishman wondered at my British accent and the American accent of my best friend. We'd had the same education, being in the same class, and our English differented very much. It's interesting.

Have you seen the film Shadowlands? It's based on Lewis's life, starring Anthony Hopkins in the title role. It's a good film, although I seldom fancy biographical films. Hopkins makes every film worth seeing.

TypoGenerator is fun, as can be seen in you pic.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary:
Thanks so much for these words ... blush! :)

elegia:
LOL ... I keep threatening to!

susupetal:
The only way to explain it, I believe, is what you already know. British English uses lots more words that American English has seen fit to pass from coloquial usage. I couldn't point to anything specific beyond the fact the British seem to keep track of much more of the language than we Americans do. As all languages are living and constantly changing, I've come to enjoy both the faster pace of American English in regard to change as well as the British English tradition that keeps old words alive.

I have not seen Shadowlands and agree with your view about Sir Anthony. When I finish reading "That Hideous Strength" I belive I'll go out and rent a copy. :)

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home