Sunday, October 21, 2007

From the sketchbook -

"The Waiting Room"
colored pencil drawing by Mick Mather
Another example from the time when I spent years at a weekly drawing class attempting to capture what my eye was seeing and to quickly get it on paper. In those days, I carried my sketchbook with me everywhere and would draw almost anything that came into view. Once, in a doctor's office waiting room, I sat behind an older gentleman, hunched forward in his chair, obviously in some distress as he waited his turn. I had about 15 minutes before he was called by the nurse and I've always enjoyed this one in spite of the fast and loose quality of it. Anyway, something short and sweet before I take my nap! :)

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

Distress, fatigue, age.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Thanks, as always with a blush. This is the way that saw it that day and I feel good about being able to capture the feeling of that moment. :)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Save My Studies said...

This has great abstract quality (a vital ingredient in realism). I had forgotten how skilled you were at drawing.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

robert:
Thanks, Rob, this is high praise indeed and you're right about the vital ingredient thing. Mollon and I used to say, "You want more abstraction than you can handle? Look at some realist paintings." :)

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home