Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Stretching again -

"The Waiter Brought A Tray"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
As some of you may have noticed, I've taken a sharp right turn into fractals recently. While I've been generating quite a number of lovely flames, the real fun for me is to find ways to incorporate them into the usual work. Sometimes it works, most of the time not, but I'm making progress. In this post I've used a photograph, a digital drawing and two very different flames to create an image that I can't explain other than the fact that it "appeals to me". The usual array of filters and manipulators were also pressed into service here at the Secret Visual Laboratory. In the end, as I sat contemplating a title for quite some time, one of Keith Reid's lyrics from "A Whiter Shade of Pale" is what finally came to me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Hmm, I see Sitting Bull in this pic, with eagle's feathers on the head.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
You always amaze me! It took me quite a while to see what you see and I love having this other perspective. :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

Isn't the "appeals to (whoever)" the most important?

12:30 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
The answer, of course, is YES! In this context what I'm promoting is the fact that it's okay to enjoy and purchase art for that singular reason: "Just because I like it". Art is for everyone and if you moved by an artwork, drawn to it, without being able to explain it to some elite, art snob, that's just fine. So, thanks for putting it in such clear and concise words, hpy. What you say is exactly right! :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

I think it's great! I don't even wanna be sure what it is. But it is very beautiful and lonely. Trying to clamp the curtain.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
I love the way you put it - beautiful and lonely. I think so too, but when you say it, it hits home for me. Thanks! :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Very pretty and artistic, nice lines and I love the sort of sunny brightness of this--at the same time it reminds me of a skeleton, lot going on there!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary:
Thanks so much. As mentioned in the post itself, I've been struggling with a few editors as regards layering extremely different types of imagery together. Easy to layer, hard to make it work. Recent posts reflect some of the early successes and I'm pleased that you liked this one. :)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home