Sunday, February 03, 2008

To what purpose?

"The Purpose Driven Life"
digitally manipulated torn paper collage by Mick Mather
One of my favorite collage artists is Tammy, aka blondstrawberry. I don't believe there's a single work at her web site that didn't speak to me. Not only is each piece a superbly done visual masterpiece, her titles add volumes more information to those of us willing to sit and ponder the marriage for any length of time. As I was wandering through her body of work for a second dozen times I finally realized that here's a woman who enjoys the old fashioned, hand-written letter - putting an old school spin on hand held, I should like to point out, as regards the way such treasure is read. So, I wrote Tammy a letter, tipping in a torn paper collage to the middle of it. What you see here is the digitally manipulated result of the original that I've posted here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mick, I like this! I tried to see the original too and I don't know if it's just me, but I couldn't ): I'll have to try again later.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

shani thomas:
Thanks so much, Shani! If you haven't tried again, do so. It takes a few minutes to post, copy links, switch blogs, link and then back 'n forth again ... phew! That was a mouthful there. Too, I was having some problems when No Matter What Shape kept adding the same post and I had the extra steps of removing a few things. As I say, try looking here again if you haven't already. :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Bobbie said...

Mick, you certainly achieved the torn paper look with this image. I'm seeing that all you need is a coupon or a book to achieve the Purpose Driven Life...We all read and stayed with the author until the last three chapters...

I checked out Tammy blondestrawberry and fell in LOVE with her work. That is what we aspire to down here at the bottom where I live :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

bobbie:
Just to be sure, did I make it clear that this manipuilated image is of a scanned, torn paper collage that was posted here? Have a peek.

7:24 PM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, I liked her work, oh yes!

Like the texture of you pic. The bluish tint makes me think of ice.
Must be because I'm a Finn...

9:09 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
Yes, Tammy's work is brilliant.
Thanks, too, for the comment on my piece.
Ice? I don't believe the Finns have a lock on that ... didn't I see ice at Trijnie's place a few weeks back? Or, right outside my door! We've had freezing rain events two days last week and at the weekend the lights flickered for about 20 minutes. Another event is expected late Tuesday or Wednesday! Yikes! :O

5:26 AM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

I like this image, always excited to see text in artpieces.
They become rare handwrited letters.
I have a shoebox full of letters from a poet/friend. He discovered the writing on internet so he stopped handwriting its a shame.
I posted yesterday on you blog, no sign of it.
Maybe you sensurised it ;)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

womann in glass:
Thanks, Trijnie. I'm delighted that you're back, I trust that means you're feeling better?

I would never delete a comment post from you. It never showed up at this end. Try again when you have a chance? :)

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home