Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thursday Challenge: Black -

"Gatehouse at the Edge of the Black Forest"
digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather

- original photograph by Ann Ballard -
For the theme of black at Thursday Challenge this week, I cropped a photograph taken by my good friend and poet, Ann Ballard ... you can see the original here along with a very succinct vision of how I've come to think about photography as a visual artist. I often get the feeling that I'm the odd man out at the photomeme sites I contribute to each week, even though I've made it a point to keep 99.9% of the posted work completely photography based. What I see that predominates, especially in digital photography, is a purist standard. There's nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion - unless it reaches the stage of an oppressive philosophy where there's no room for anything else - and thus whistle as I work happily away. I know there are a lot of other artists working the way I do and I'm always delighted to see that work, always delighted when it inches incrementally forward in acceptability. Still, there's barely a developed square foot in all of this worldwide acreage. Not a complaint there either, mind you, just an observation.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

Also light and shadows.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Yes, without the light there would be no shadow ... only blackness, nothing to see.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Very cool. I like this a lot.

I too struggle with the line between photography and art and my perceived ideas of how others view it.

Is a smudge painting a photograph? Art? Both? Could I enter it as art? Could I enter it as a photo?

Today I am working a young adult novel rather than either of those, but I keep imagining "Outer-Dust-Ring" type illustrations for it, LOL!

I think it needs some of that imaginative treatment and I may go back and illustrate it.

8:08 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

I was going to say the same as HPY, but there! All is said!
Let there be light:)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

This is very dark and ominous looking!
I like the way you cropped the photo to bring forward to roof top of the building. It provides a nice balance to the white sky.
There's alot of implied movement in this photo which reminds me of a storm brewing.
Going to check out your thursday link...

1:41 PM  
Blogger Save My Studies said...

Hi Mick, Your poet friend has good taste in artwork as well. Can you email me your mailing address? I need to send you something.
Rob

2:01 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

mary stebbins taitt:
This is going to be a battle that will rage for a long time - in fact, it's the recurring argument that began with photography back in the 1800's I believe.

susupetal:
I'm surprised at you, Susu ... at the very least you could've lit the brandy flambé!

lisa sarsfield:
Thank you, Lisa. There were many versions of this and it was that movement you speak of that was the tipping point for me also. Glad you like it! :)

rob d'agostino:
Send me something? Is it ticking?

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home