Saturday, November 15, 2008

Commission accomplished -

"Through the Looking Glass"
digitally manipulated drawing, post proposal study by Mick Mather
My proposal for a conceptual art piece to be displayed in the Everson Unwrapped event at the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, New York made the final cut this week and I'll soon be busy creating two trees, if possible. I thought you all might be interested to see how that part of the process is accomplished and below is the actual proposal submitted:

  • stacked sheets of found glass in the shape of half a tree
  • installed against a mirror so the whole tree is revealed as a reflection of itself
  • a round hollow feature midway between bottom and top is the single ornament composed of empty space
  • when you bend to look into the ornament, you see your own reflection (the viewer is now the ornament)
A rough sketch was added, a nod to Lewis Carroll for the title and, voila! Another proposal completed and submitted.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Brilliant!! I love your concept and to see how it's written out for submission.

Just 1 question...would the viewers reflection be on top of the tree? or next too?
The difference in reflection would change the experience im my opinion...and the interpretation.

Festivel of the trees....way cool!

1:05 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

lisa sarsfield:
Thanks so much for the enthusiastic comment, Lisa. I was hoping that someone might find the proposal language interesting; that said, not all are quite as simple as this. As for the reflection, remember that the hole in the tree is the conceptual ornament and will be placed in the middle. When you look into the hole, you will see yourself reflected in the mirror behind. Maybe I should've added a little face to that part of the study. :)

4:53 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Christmas tree? Nice!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

elegia:
Thank you, Elegia! :)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I'm back. Life got in the way:)

The reason I asked about the reflection being on top of or next too the tree was because in my mind i was imagining where I would be in it if I were to actually be there...and if the viewers face represented the human race would that put us above the tree (dominance) or next too (in harmony with) but now i see that atleast in my mind I would be a part of the tree...2 seperate things that need each to co-exist with each other in order to survive seperately. A representation of real life, for me at least!

Hope that made sense to you and not just me! lol

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Lisa Sarsfield:
I'm no stranger to that thing that called life that's always getting in the way and I did get what you were saying about the tree. I'm not sure that I wasn't a bit too clever with my own concept though. Considering the fact that we decorate our trees with ornaments, what does that say about the concept of the ornament as our own reflection? The hole in the tree remains existential, it just is. Anyway, there's always something to think about alrightee! :)

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home