Wednesday, July 18, 2007

NEW from The Nightmare Series -

"Wailing Lament of the Banshee"
$50 unframed - LUCAS GALLERY
digital collage by Mick Mather
According to legend, a banshee wails around a house if someone in the house is about to die. Celtic, Gaelic, Norse and other cultural legends have variations of things to say about these fairies, spirits or fallen angels. For this post, I leave it at the "wailing" for one about to pass as with a Keener who sings the lament at a traditional Irish wake. At the same time, I've given the visual a particularly gruesome treatment. There's plenty of the blarney in me, thanks to Clan Christie, but I don't ever recall hearing about the moan from any of my maternal grandmum's side of the family. Neither have I ever actually heard it myself at those times when the veil dropped to snatch away a loved one whose time had come.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice Ykema said...

maybe its a banshee affecting the life of our blogs and computers these days.... Lots of moanin and groanin going on.. :)

Lots of emotion and energy here...! (shivering)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Elegia said...

This is pure horror,I love it. I can see blood in her face and I imagine I can see her teeth (they're like fangs).

The expression is also very creepy. I like the colours too. You can see much in that picture, but not too much. There's a lot of space to your imagination. Cool!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

janice:
LMAO @ the reference to the computer dying. Now that you mention it, my last one, as it was about to fry the hard drive, was wailing and lamenting regularly. :D

elegia:
Yes, a good fright and a horrible scare is just what we need once in a while. I, too, loved this image for each of the reasons that you give. Thanks so much, with a blush. :)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home