Thursday, January 10, 2008

Who knew? -

"Out of Sorts"
digital photograph by Mick Mather
Over the Christmas Holiday it was discovered that my granddaughter, Leighlund, had acquired a case of erythema infectiosum, or fifth disease. The visible symptoms appear as a bright red patch on the cheek although a lace-like, patchy rash can also accompany this "slapped face syndrome" in other areas or all over the body. Not that this is of any great import to this week's Thursday Challenge - for the theme of favorite - except for the fact that this darling child is Poppa's "favorite" subject matter and I often use images of her on this blog. I should also point out that this photograph has not been manipulated other than a little cropping and resizing. One of the things I love about digital photography is the fact there no longer seems to be any such thing as a bad photograph. Even the out of focus, blurred images like this one have a use if you search for one. :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Oh, poor Leighland. Does the rash itch a lot? It can be easen with antihistamines, doesn't it?

I'm with you that there are no bad photos nowadays, and that's great. I find that if I feel that a photo is not so good, it's more inspiring for manipulating than a perfect photo.

This photo is sad, I feel the grip is not holding and the person is fading away. Your pic brings to my mind the Finnish painter Helene Schjerfbeck and her self portraits, look here, I think you'll find them interesting.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Wow, this is exciting! The shout (You must know Edward Munch's painting). She (I assume it's she) in shouting back.

2:28 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
The rash can be itchy, but not always and for Leighlund, not much. She was constantly rubbing her eyes, though, and when I asked what was wrong she said, "they're itchy, Poppa."
Thanks so much for the link pages for Helene Schjerfbeck. I'll want to study her work a bit more than I have time for this morning. As far as I can tell with this brief an introduction, she was quite all over the map with painting styles. I was quite taken aback when I saw an old photograph of her - she looks a LOT like Leighlund! At least, what I suspect she'll look like when she's much older.

elina:
I do know that painting and have spent delightful hours studying his work. Munch is one of my favorites and I can see that droopy, sagging, dripping fluidity he used so often and so well in this photograph - quite unintentional, mind you. A lot of happy accidents this week. :)

4:48 AM  
Blogger Trijnie said...

I also had to think of the shout of Munch. Hope the rash is disapaered, poor girl.
Have a nice weekend Mick

11:15 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

griesmail:
She's much better now, Trijnie, thanks for the kind word. Even so, it's all about catching those early childhood diseases and building up the old immune system I think.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home