Tuesday, July 01, 2008

NEW from The Toys Series -

"Dump Truck"
digitally manipulated tempera-on-paper painting by Mick Mather
Once again I pay homage to my exhibition at The Weiskotten Gallery with another piece from The Toys Series. While I'm at it, how about a nod to Bob the Builder? I actually had a dump truck similar to this when I was about 4 or 5 ... it was made of good, solid metal instead of the plastic toys you get today. They were perfect for clunking the kid next door over the head with and was sure to raise a welt that would be remembered a fair while. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger hpy said...

I too had a little truck like that when I was about 4 or 5. Could it had been in gum? Or wood?
(Never played with dolls.)

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work Mick! And you're right, they just don't make them like they used to, do they? I remember my brother had those metal yellow Tonka trucks, of course they weren't much competition against a ball bat (the little sister's self-defense weapon of choice).

4:36 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
It's funny you should mention dolls, a doll is the last piece in this series that's finished. I'm still looking at it, dissatisfied somehow, so it may never be seen.

shani:
I wish I could remember the manufacturer and it was long before Tonka. Suffice to say that they were, heavy, die-cast toys that are quite likely still around today. I should plan a trip to the flea market and get some photos. :D

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home