Saturday, October 27, 2007

Something abstract?

"Scratch Off"
digitally manipulated photograph by Mick Mather
- from an original photo by Bill Ives -

Here's an example of things getting completely out of control and going haywire! I've had this in a file for about a week and keep coming back to it. To better understand my dilemma, it was Bill Ives' photograph of this stone building that attracted my attention. As I looked at the old and weathered wall to the right side of the door I was seeing an abstract painting. Hmm, a bit of cropping, filtering, manipulating and layering and this is what I got. The cool thing is that, not only do I like it, but it may be the first piece in another series of paintings. Next week, I begin the grueling task of creating three paintings from my "Reinventing the Wheel Series" as Vincent Fitches and I begin to create what will become our first collaborative exhibition. More on that as things progress - perhaps to include a new blog to document the work, the process and the collaboration.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

Although this is an abstract, there's something old-fashioned in it, maybe it's the colour of an old English rose that does it. At least on this computer the colour looks dusty rose. It's somewhat irritating that the colours of pics vary in different computers.

Odd. I can't see anything in this pic, that is: no skeletons, no bones, or other oddities. This is pure abstract!
Or I'm in a tranquil state of mind...

2:10 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
Yes, dusty rose is what I see as well and that's always the issue with purchasing artwork online - you never know what the true color will be when you get it. It can be irritating, as you say, or part of the fun. I find it irritating myself.

I assume that you went over to see Bill Ives' original? The reason I wanted to do this piece was because of the complete abstract quality of the wall. My manipulation only intensified that. So, I'm glad that you're in a more tranquil state, Susu - the calm before the storms of winter perhaps? :D

7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mick

Thanks for making use of my photo from Sardinia. You were able to retain the feel of the stone building while converting it to an abstraction. I look forward to more. Bill

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

iveswilliam:
I'm the one who should be thanking you again, Bill. Thanks. I don't know why, but there was a run of cool things in your photo's that hit me between the eyes last week. I'll be posting the temple image in a few days if things go as I expect.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home